Of boys and UTI / Part 1

Posted on by
the first

the first

this would be the first incident that would turn me into a pseudo-expert in UTI for boys. Well, not really. But it would propel me into the abyss of DMSA, MCUG, MAG3 and MRU. It is not a journey that anyone would want to embark on, but unfortunately, it appears that it is to be my rite of passage as I raise my boys.

Not fun, but ah wells. It made me appreciate my boys more if anything. I reckon this will take a few parts to write. Don’t want to go into lengthy essays about boys and UTI haha. So here we go.

Oliver @ 6 weeks

Oliver is an overdue baby. 40w+3 days. I had to get him out cos he was so big inside and even waddling was a pain. There were no medical issues with him, so we weren’t expecting this. We used muslin nappies most of the time. Apart from some diaper rash which cleared up after we used Desitin, he was pretty much a normal baby. Being newbies, we didn’t realise he was having a low grade fever until my mom pointed it out when she came over.

Uh-oh. Hubby and I monitored him throughout the evening. And the fever just slowly climbed, and he slept. And he was lethargic. But then, we didn’t know that lethargy was a bad sign, coupled with high fever. We didn’t give him paracetamol, we just sponged him and monitored him through the night. We were even playing around with him in his state of stupor. We propped him up against the sofa, like a boss we said. #assholeparents

like a boss

like a boss

we panicked when the fever piked up to over 40 degrees the following morning, and we made the trip to the KKH A&E. We got the express queue cos of his age and high fever, and pretty soon, they told us he had to be admitted. Key things we told the attending doctor: unexplained fever, no crying during passing of urine, no cough and flu symptoms.

When we were admitted, they took a blood test and a urine test. Poor kiddo was pricked in both hands before they finally inserted a IV plug on his foot. Preliminary tests showed that he had UTI, but what kind of bacteria was causing the UTI was still unknown, so a culture had to be taken, and it will take a couple of days before they will know. Till then, a generic antibiotic will be administered to sort out the UTI. There was the suggestion of doing a spinal tap as well, just to make sure that the brain wasn’t infected with the bacteria. We opted out of it as we felt there wasn’t a necessity to do so.

Day 1 & 2 was the roughest. Ollie’s fever would not drop and he was so hot to the touch. The nurses offered a cooling mat to bring down his body temperature. He would be crying and shivering. Or each time he managed to sleep, they would come in with the BP machine to take the blood pressure and also to take his temperature. Aiyoh..how to sleep like that?? But no choice cos they had to monitor his current condition.

Day 2 and feeling better

Day 2 and feeling better

By Day 3, he was more or less back to his self. The fever had dropped, he was still on antibiotics cos they had figured that there were 2 strains of bacteria which caused the UTI; one being E. Coli. They still needed time to find out what the second strain was. Boo. In the mean time, they didn’t want to release us until they found out what the second strain was, and they also had to find out if it was resistant to oral medication. The doctor had explained to us that if the bacteria was resistant to oral medication, Ollie could need medication intravaneously.


OMG. That is the last thing I needed to hear. How to give intravaneously??

The second strain turned out to be some enterococcal virus (I vaguely remember it to be samonella, but I could be wrong). So once they got it sorted, it was a matter of seeing if it was resistant to oral meds, and the doctor extended our stay by an extra day. *sigh* 5 days in the hospital. Totally not cool. We also had an ultrasound done to see if there was any damage done to the kidneys. In between, once they found out the strains of bacteria, they did think we could switch to oral meds and removed the IV plug. And then a couple of hours later, the nurses came back saying that the doctor felt it was probably safer to keep him on antibiotics for another day. Booo..so in went the IV plug again. Poor Ollie came back all sobby. Gaaah.



On a side note, we were really fortunate that we had insurance cover for Ollie just 10 days before he got admitted, so everything was covered for. We were able to stay in an A Class ward at KKH. Not that it was any more comfortable, it just meant that there were lesser noise from the neighbouring beds. You have no idea how happy I was to step out of the hospital on day 5. I missed my bed and my home. I missed my husband. I crashed out when I got home and slept for 2 hours whilst my mom watched Ollie.

There was nothing like home.

Post discharge

Ollie was on ampicillin & gentamicin throughout his hospitalisation. Once they felt that the UTI was cleared, he was placed on amoxycillin for 9 days and cefaLEXin until he was around 6 months old where he would under go a DMSA scan to find out if there had been any scarring on the kidneys due to the episode of UTI.

At the DMSA scan, a plug was inserted into Ollie’s hand so that they could inject the radioactive isotope into him to see if any scarring was to be picked up during the scan. He needed to be really still for the scanner to pick up the images. We had to be at the hospital around 8.30am, and we had to wait around 2 hours for the isotope to go through the body. We opted to try and keep Ollie awake for the 2 hours (he usually has a nap around 10am), so that I could nurse him to sleep prior to the scan. If he could not sleep on his own, it would mean that the nurses would have to sedate him, which meant a lot of aftercare post scan (i.e., not too lethargic, doesn’t sleep excessively, etc).

It did take a while to nurse him to sleep because he was too tired. But fortunately, he caved and slept through the entire procedure! So yay! We could basically walk out and resume normal activities.

At the follow up visit, we were informed that there was no scarring, and because there was no further episodes of UTI, Ollie was discharged and no longer required to take any more prophylactic antibiotics.

I wished it was THAT easy for QT.

Category: Kids, Special
Comments are disabled