time out

Posted on by
heading out

heading out

for the first time in a long while, Ollie and I spent the day together outside, just the both of us. Usually when we headed out, we would meet up with either D, or head to someone’s place to chillax for the afternoon before heading home.

so today, I had plans for us to go to the BabyCare Fair at the Singapore Expo to check out some stuff for Ollie (safety gate!!). The fair starts at 11am, but dear mama here decided that we will have breakfast at maccas so off we went at 8.45am in the morning. =P we had a lovely time over breakfast, sharing a kid’s portion of pancakes, and exploring the toy that came with the meal. It was a hacky sack. Ollie immediately went “ball!” but was a wee befuddled as to why this ball didn’t bounce, roll away and felt different. Nevertheless, still a ball and he is happy that he has a new ball. Toddlers. Right.

Anyhoos, we had a bit of a nonsensical chat on the way to the expo hall, and stood in the queue for the doors to open. He had a quick 30 min nap and woke up just after the doors opened. Niiice. We took a slow stroll around the stalls, got some new snacks for Ollie, checked out safety gates, cabinet and drawer latches (yes we are at that stage & it is driving me nuts!!), and scored some free yoghurt drops for the monster. Yay. Ollie was happy. Mama is happy too cos she got to do some shopping. =D

Then it was off to get Daddy some new pants (in new sizes….haha). It was..interesting shopping for men’s pants with a toddler strapped to me in front. Hrm. Ollie couldn’t get his hands off the pants I was holding. Finally picked one with Donald’s stamp of approval and apparently Ollie gave his stamp of approval too cos he knicked it out of my reusable bag and wouldn’t stop hugging it! Waaaat. Guess we can’t return it now. Whoops.

It was a good day out, sun was out, we got some good time together. It’s been a good week.

On another note, today is Day 6 of Ollie weaning off breastfeeding and we have been progressing really well. We started off weaning in the day since we found out that he was able to fall asleep in the carrier without needing to nurse to sleep. However, this was only if Donald was carrying him. And this was after Donald had been putting Ollie to sleep in the carrier at bedtimes for the past week or so after nursing. So I started weaning him in the day by nursing him when he woke up, instead of nursing him to sleep. He wasn’t too happy with not being able to nurse to sleep. Initially I would tell him firmly to “stop” squirming and fussing, which he would comply very quickly and snuggle back on me and fall asleep shortly. Subsequently, I would explain to him that there was “no more milk” and he would fuss a little while before accepting it. In the early days, it took me nearly 45 minutes to put him down for a nap, between him fussing and crying. Today, it takes me about 15 minutes with a little play time and giggles, a wee bit of fussing and then quiet down. Unfortunately, it still takes Donald 30 minutes to put him to bed. Haha. Maybe Ollie just craves for Daddy contact time. =D

With this weaning, my breastmilk supply has dropped a fair bit and I’ve decided that I’d still pump to mix it with cow’s milk so that Ollie will have his regular nutrient intake. I am cautious to not let Ollie have too much cow’s milk for now, and to progressively increase the amount of cow’s milk. It is a little fascinating to watch him down 100ml of milk in between gulps and sips using a straw since I never knew how much he drank before, and especially when it is soooo difficult to get him to drink water. *grumbles*

Am I worried about the loss of bond between Ollie and me that I got from breastfeeding? Not really. The quiet time we have pre-naps are good enough. He snuggles on my chest, and we have a giggle & laugh and he sleeps. I’m happy with that. I reckon we need more of these days together.

Category: Kids | Tags: , , , ,
Comments are disabled